Update 03/2014

I have now lived in Santiago, Chile for 4 years and love it.
If you would like to get in touch with me, I would be happy to share what I have learned and what's new.

Twitter: @zacharykreid
Facebook: Quick Me Ups
Google+: +zacharykreid



Thursday, March 18, 2010

Estoy Viviendo la Vida....

Hola compadres, como están? Estoy biiiien, finalmente estoy conociendo mas gente y visitando mas lugares de esta ciudad. En facebook escribí que, ahora me estoy sintiendo parte de Santiago. Que emoción!! Mi Castellano está mejorando también! wooo!!!

I still have a long ways to go but have actually gotten many compliments on my Spanish from both the locals and some gringos. I've actually had other foreigners ask me if I was from Santiago!! haha woohooo!!!

Sooo, as I said, I've been getting out more. I love the metro system (except it stops running at 10:30/11pm depending on the day!!) .....now the bus system is a lil crazy but I live walking distance from one of the main streets in Santiago and there's buses that run up and down that street (Alameda y Providencia también), so that's nice.

Last weekend Maca and I went hiking up Cerro San Cristobal. It's this nice big hill in the middle of the city. It was maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk to get there from my house (it's to the NW), and maybe a half hour or 45 minutes to the top, where you get a nice view of Santiago. We headed up at sunset. Here's a couple pics....




The view from the top after the sun set, before dark....


Me and Maca at the top.


Sunset over Santiago.

The next day I met up with a group of friends that had a little event at a Brazilian restaurant planned. I ordered Feijoada (a very popular, traditional Brazilian dish), but was soon advised that they were out of Feijoada, so I changed my order, and for the life of me I can't remember the name....... I thought it was Faijon de 'something' but I can't find it on the internets.... anyways, doesn't look too exciting, but reminded me of my favorite food growing up (thanks mom)... Red Beans and Rice woo!! was very tasty....



The whole time we were eating there was some awesome live music, and after our meal, a dance party broke out!!



After the Brazilian party I had a little extra energy, so on my walk home, I stopped off in Bellavista, approached a table of strangers, and asked if I could hang out and practice my Spanish with them.... success!! There was 6 of us, but we didn't get a picture of the whole group for some reason(?)... anyways, here's 3 of us!

As we were just sitting there chatting it up, the lights went out........ in the whole city!! The street lights, building lights, everything! There were a ton of people outside sitting, enjoying the weather and drinking beer so we were all just kinda like.... well I guess we'll wait for this to pass! haha, the waiter quickly supplied little candles, we ordered another beer, and just waited it out.....


A little out of order here but this is from Friday the 12th and was my first meetup with the Expats group. It was a really cool event, I spoke mostly in Spanish all night (with a little English where necessary), we ate Mexican food, and I made some new friends (both Gringos and Chilenos).

Ok, back on the timeline, last one, these are from Tuesday March 16th... this is from the Santiago English-Spanish club... basically just another group that gets together extranjeros (non-Chileans) and Chileans, and give them a chance to practice English/Spanish....


Me and Fiorella, she's a Chilean and she's the one that let me know about these groups, so I have her to thank for a bunch of my new friends and new experiences here in Chile (plus she says she's going to teach me to Salsa)..... thanks Fio!!


Ok, hope this post finds you well! The Expats group meets again tomorrow night and it's Italian Food night yay! Ooh ooh, also, I worked out 3 times last week, and have worked out every day this week!! Wasn't getting enough exercise, but now I'm getting back in shape over here!!

Ok love you all and I'll update 'soon' hahaa....

abrazos, besos, cuidate, chauu!!!!!!

Zak

No comments:

Post a Comment